Monday, January 16, 2006

lullaby

Having a baby, you sometimes find it necessary to sing to the child to soothe him/her.  Unfortunately (for myself and the baby) I only know one lullaby and by “know” I mean that I have knowledge of one but don’t actually know the words.  The one lullaby is “Hush little baby”, and since I don’t know the real words I generally just make something up.  Below are the words that I tend to fall into without even trying.  I think that I have the first couple of lines correct but it goes horribly wrong from there.  I’m not writing this to be funny, these are the actual words that I use.

Hush, little baby, don’t say a word
Mamma’s gonna buy you a mocking bird
And if that mockingbird don’t sing
Mamma’s gonna buy you a diamond ring
And if that diamond ring turns to glass
Mamma’s gonna give you a kick in the ass

(That’s about all.  I usually just repeat from here.  Thankfully, she doesn’t know what I’m saying as long as I use a nice tone, which I’m also incapable of if you’ve ever listened to me sing).

Just to see what the words really are, I googled them today and here they are.  I’m not sure if I’ve ever actually heard the whole thing before.

Hush, little baby, don’t say a word
Papa’s gonna buy you a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird won’t sing
Pappa’s gonna buy you a diamond ring
And if that diamond ring turns brass
Pappa’s gonna buy you a looking glass
And if that looking glass gets broke
Pappa’s gonna buy you a billy goat
And if that billy goat won’t pull
Pappa’s gonna buy you a cart and bull
And if that cart and bull fall down
You’ll still be the sweetest little baby in town

1 comment:

Dena said...

that's so funny, I too sing that and when I get to the part where it goes...If that Diamond ring don't shine, mama's gonna buy you some turpentine. I guess we'd better get to a sing a long class and soon!